1ms vs 5ms for Gaming: Does It Really Make a Difference?

Hey everyone,

I’ve been doing some research on monitors. I keep coming across terms like “1ms” and “5ms” response times, but I’m not entirely sure what these mean or how they impact gaming performance.

Can anyone explain the difference between a 1ms and a 5ms response time in monitors? Does it really make a noticeable difference when gaming, or is it something only hardcore gamers would notice? Any insights or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much for your attention and participation.

3 Likes

Hi @anand.gupta72

As someone who’s spent a lot of time gaming and working with different monitors, I can help clarify this for you.

Response Time Explained: The “1ms” and “5ms” refer to the response time of a monitor. Response time measures how quickly a pixel can change from one color to another, typically from grey to grey. A lower response time means less motion blur and ghosting, which are important for fast-paced games.

1ms vs 5ms:

• 1ms Response Time: Monitors with a 1ms response time are usually TN panels. They are highly responsive and great for competitive gaming where every millisecond counts. You’ll experience smoother visuals and less motion blur, which can be crucial in fast-paced, competitive environments like first-person shooters (FPS) or racing games.
  • 5ms Response Time: Monitors with a 5ms response time are often IPS panels, which provide better color accuracy and viewing angles. While 5ms is slightly slower, it’s still quite fast and is usually sufficient for most gamers, especially for genres like RPGs or strategy games where rapid response time is less critical.

Impact on Gaming:

• Competitive Edge: If you’re into competitive gaming, a 1ms monitor could provide a slight edge due to quicker response times and reduced motion blur.
  • Casual Gaming: For casual gaming, a 5ms response time is usually perfectly fine. The difference between 1ms and 5ms is often hard to notice for the average gamer.

Final Thoughts: The difference between 1ms and 5ms is more pronounced in very fast-paced games. If you’re a professional or competitive gamer, investing in a 1ms monitor might be worth it. However, for casual gaming or other types of games, a 5ms monitor will serve you well and often provides better color and viewing angles.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Happy gaming!

1 Like