Canon DSLR EOS 60D and Bokeh shot

Hi

I have an old Canon DSLR EOS 60D. I want a shot for Bokeh with a close-up and blurred background.

What type of lense do I need?

Thanks
Valdy

5 Likes

Hi @valdyme

You’ll need a lens with a wide aperture (low f-stop number) to achieve bokeh. This allows more light to enter the lens, which in turn gives a shallower field depth–this produces the bokeh effect.

There are many Canon lenses suitable for this effect, but here are my suggestions:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM: This is often called the “nifty fifty”. It’s a budget-friendly lens with a wide aperture of f/1.8, perfect for achieving a nice bokeh. It’s a prime lens with a fixed focal length, which often results in sharper images than zoom lenses.

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM: This lens is excellent for portraits with beautiful bokeh. It’s a bit more expensive than the 50mm, but the extra reach and the wide f/1.8 aperture make it worth considering if you do a lot of portrait photography.

Hope this is useful.

Rio

4 Likes

Hi @valdyme

Another alternative: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM - This versatile zoom lens can produce great bokeh. The constant f/2.8 aperture is excellent for low-light conditions and helps create a shallow depth of field. This lens is more expensive, but it’s versatility and high-quality optics make it popular.

Keep in mind that lenses with wider apertures allow for better bokeh and perform better in low-light situations. Also, longer focal lengths (85mm or 135mm) can help achieve more pronounced bokeh.

Remember that the Canon EOS 60D uses an APS-C sensor, so there’s a 1.6x crop factor to consider when choosing your lens. This means that a 50mm lens will behave more like an 80mm lens on a full-frame camera, and an 85mm lens will behave like a 136mm lens. The crop factor doesn’t affect the bokeh, but it does mean you’ll have to stand further back to get the same field of view.

4 Likes