How do people celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico?

I’m curious about how people celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico. We’ll be travelling there during this time, and I wonder if there are any special events, gatherings, or traditions that mark the occasion. Are there specific places where American expats or tourists typically gather to celebrate?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

While the 4th of July is an important holiday in the United States, it is not a national holiday in Mexico. However, you will find that some places in Mexico, especially those with a significant American expat community or many American tourists, host celebrations and events to mark the occasion.

In popular tourist destinations like Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mexico City, hotels, resorts, and bars often organise special events. These might include BBQs, fireworks, parties, and live music. For example, many American-owned establishments will go out of their way to create a festive atmosphere with traditional American foods like hamburgers, hot dogs, apple pie, and plenty of red, white, and blue decorations.

Additionally, American expat communities in cities such as San Miguel de Allende and Ajijic often organise their 4th of July gatherings. These can range from private parties to public events, sometimes even including parades or charity events.

If you’re looking to join in the celebrations, I recommend checking local event listings online or visiting popular expat and tourist spots. Local social media groups and expat forums can also be great resources for finding out what events might be happening near you.

Remember, while you can find pockets of celebration, the overall atmosphere in Mexico will be much more subdued compared to the U.S. Nevertheless, it’s a unique experience to celebrate American Independence Day while enjoying Mexico’s beautiful surroundings and rich culture.

2 Likes