Exploring abandoned castles in Ireland - any recommendations?

Hello, fellow travellers!

I’ve always been fascinated by the idea of exploring abandoned castles, and recently, I’ve heard that Ireland is home to some stunning ones. However, I’m completely new to this topic and love to hear from those with experience or knowledge about abandoned castles in Ireland.

Can you recommend any abandoned castles that are worth visiting in Ireland? It could be based on their historical significance, architectural beauty, or overall experience. Any tips or advice for exploring these castles safely would be greatly appreciated. I can’t wait to hear your suggestions and insights into this intriguing aspect of Irish travel!

3 Likes

Hi @ariarodesign

Ireland is a treasure trove of abandoned castles steeped in history and offers a unique glimpse into the past. Here are a few remarkable abandoned castles in Ireland that any travel enthusiast should consider exploring:

Dunluce Castle: Located on the stunning Causeway Coast, Dunluce Castle is a picturesque ruin perched on the edge of a cliff. Its dramatic setting and turbulent history make it a must-visit.

Leap Castle: Often called Ireland’s most haunted castle, Leap Castle has a rich and eerie history. It’s a fascinating spot for those intrigued by history and the supernatural.

Ballycarbery Castle: Situated in County Kerry, Ballycarbery Castle boasts breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. Its imposing structure and proximity to the Ring of Kerry make it a popular stop.

Castle Matrix: This lesser-known gem in County Roscommon is a hidden treasure. Exploring its ivy-clad ruins offers a serene and off-the-beaten-path experience.

Renvyle Castle: Located in County Galway, Renvyle Castle offers an opportunity to wander through the remains of a 13th-century castle while enjoying panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean.

When visiting these abandoned castles, it’s essential to prioritize safety. Wear appropriate footwear, be cautious of unstable structures, and respect any posted signs or barriers. It’s also a good idea to check if any local tour guides or historians can provide valuable insights into the history of these castles.

Remember, Ireland’s weather can be unpredictable, so be prepared for varying conditions, especially if you plan to explore the castles’ exteriors extensively. Enjoy your adventures in discovering the mystique of Ireland’s abandoned castles, and don’t forget your camera to capture the magical moments! Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions about these castles or need more information.

Happy travels!

3 Likes