How to reduce the CPU temperature in desktop PC?

Hi there,

I have an old machine, and I cleaned up the dust, etc. I don’t have a previous benchmark, but after I cleaned up, the CPU temperature reached 90 degrees Celsius. I also the paste and get a new cooler. How do I reduce the CPU temperature?

After doing this, I am sure I previously saw 40 degrees Celcius on the BIOS.

Thanks for your help.

3 Likes

A CPU temperature of 90 degrees Celsius is quite high and could potentially lead to thermal throttling or even long-term damage to your CPU if not addressed.

Here are some steps you can take to lower your CPU temperature:

Check for Proper Cooling: Ensure your CPU cooler and case fans function correctly. Make sure they are clean and not clogged with dust. Consider upgrading to an aftermarket cooler for better cooling performance if you have a stock cooler.

Apply Thermal Paste: If you recently built or reseated your CPU, apply thermal paste correctly. Consider reapplying if you suspect it’s old or not applied correctly.

Improve Case Airflow: Ensure your computer case has adequate airflow. Ensure that air can flow freely through the case and that the hot air is exhausted efficiently. Consider adding more fans if necessary.

Reduce Overclocking: Consider lowering the clock speed or voltage if your CPU is overclocked. Overclocking can generate excess heat.

Update or Adjust Fan Speeds: Check your BIOS/UEFI settings for fan speed controls. You can set the fans to run at higher speeds for better cooling.

Clean Your PC: Dust can accumulate in your PC over time, especially in the CPU heatsink and fan. Make sure your PC is clean and free of dust.

Monitor Background Processes: Sometimes, background processes can load the CPU and increase its temperature. Use Task Manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (macOS) to check for resource-intensive processes and close unnecessary applications.

Check for Malware: Malware can cause your CPU to work harder than it should. Run a malware scan using reputable antivirus software.

Lower the Room Temperature: High room temperatures can also affect CPU temperatures. Ensure that the room is adequately cooled.

Reapply Thermal Paste: If your CPU is old or has been used for a while, you might need to reapply thermal paste. Over time, the paste can dry out and lose its effectiveness.

Undervolt the CPU: If you’re comfortable, you can undervolt your CPU. Undervolting reduces the voltage supplied to the CPU, which can lower power consumption and, consequently, heat output. However, do this carefully, as an incorrect undervolt can lead to instability.

Consider Upgrading: If your CPU is consistently running hot, and you’ve tried all the above steps, it might be time to consider upgrading your CPU, CPU cooler, or even your entire computer to a more efficient and cooler-running model.

If, after trying these steps, your CPU temperature is still too high, you should consider seeking professional assistance, as there may be a more serious issue with your CPU or its cooling system.

Remember that maintaining a safe operating temperature is crucial to your CPU’s long-term health and performance.

2 Likes