Need Help: How to apply double underline in Google Docs?

Hello everyone,

I’m working on a business document using Google Docs, and I’ve encountered a formatting challenge that I can’t figure out. I need to apply a double underline to certain portions of text within the document, but I can’t find an obvious way to do it in Google Docs. I’ve tried exploring the formatting options, but no luck so far.

As someone who’s not very familiar with this topic, I’m hoping some experienced users here could lend me a hand.

Has anyone successfully achieved a double underline in Google Docs? If so, please share the steps or tricks to accomplish this. Your insights would be greatly appreciated, as this formatting detail is important for the professional look of the document.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

5 Likes

Hey there,

It’s great to see your dedication to formatting your business document professionally. I understand the importance of getting the formatting just right. Let me guide you through applying a double underline in Google Docs.

The option for double underlining isn’t directly available in Google Docs like single underline. However, you can achieve this effect using a combination of formatting tools. Here’s how:

Highlight the Text: First, highlight the text you want to double underline.

Insert > Drawing: Go to the “Insert” menu at the top, and select “Drawing.” A drawing canvas will appear.

Add Lines: In the drawing canvas, use the line tool to draw two parallel lines beneath the text. You can hold the Shift key while drawing to ensure straight lines.

Adjust Line Style: You can adjust the lines’ colour, thickness, and style using the formatting options in the drawing toolbar.

Save and Insert: Once satisfied with the lines, click “Save and Close” on the drawing canvas. It will insert the drawing with the double underline below your selected text.

While this workaround might not be as straightforward as a single formatting option, it can achieve your business document’s desired double underline effect.

Remember, you can always edit the drawing if needed. If your document changes and you need to adjust the text or underline, you can right-click the drawing and select “Edit” to make changes.

I hope this helps you achieve the professional look you’re aiming for in your document. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Good luck with your business document!

5 Likes